Ella started school (kindie) on 1 February. She loves it of course, I hadn’t expected anything less. I had an interview with the teacher last Monday and there really wasn’t much to say, no concerns and no complaints from either party.
The highlights for her so far:
– Riding her bike to school, and parking and locking it herself. With her OWN lock!
– Hanging out with her best friend Katarina, whom she knows from preschool. The teacher did tell me she has to separate them when they have to sit and listen to the teacher because they chat to eachother non-stop.
– Her school dress. I wasted money on a skirt, a skort and a polo shirt but when I try to get her to wear them because her only dress is dirty I get a “oh, but Katarina gets to wear her dress every day!” Probably a good thing as I made her white polo shirts go a very pale blue the first time I washed them.
– “Fighting” with Aden and Fletcher from the class next to hers. She knows them from preschool also and plays with them during recess and lunch. I’m very happy that she’s befriended some boys again. Her apparent sexism was starting to worry me a bit.
– Playing with 6yo Jack and Taisha from across the street. Jack is in year 1 and wears size 10 clothes. He’s a good friend to have in the playground. He showed her his best hiding spot, which came in handy when a grade 3 girl started bossing her around at the playground.
– Being star of the week, which apparently means she can be first in the line and have the teacher’s little teddy on her desk. Everyone gets a turn of this so I don’t think it’s meant as an award.
Unfortunately she does not seem very excited yet about the class activities. She cannot wait to start writing and I can’t wait for her to start maths as she can do all sums under 20 and regularly beats me at Rummikub.