Last Saturday was Ella’s 4th birthday party.
These are the things I learnt from that experience:
– I am not superwoman. I don’t even look anything like her.
– Organising a kids birthday party at home is a sure sign of insanity.
– I do not want to miss seeing my child enjoy her birthday party ever again. And not just because I deserve some immediate gratification after so much hard work.
– My child needs constant reminders to not to behave like a brat in public. I used to mainly remind her because of how it reflected on me. Now it dawned on me that it is my duty as a parent to tell her for her own benefit. A bit like when you make a fool of yourself when you’re drunk and you ask your friends the next day: “Why did you not stop me?!”
– All it takes to stop her yelling orders is a gentle but unambiguous reminder. She’ll immediately switch to her nice voice then.
– Making sausage rolls from scratch is so not worth the effort and one of the most thankless tasks I can think of.
– Home cooked food in general is overrated. Store bought food and snacks are adequate food for a kids’ party.
– Eating however is hard to overrate. Not doing it while running around from early morning till late at night may result in having to take pain killers and feeling sick.
– Forgetting to put out the plastic plates and cutlery is rather silly.
– I am so incredibly lucky to know a very talented and patient face painter and other friends who were willing to help in various ways. (Next year, I won’t have to rely on you as much, I promise!)
So, a very educational experience in the end.
I asked Ella if there was anything at all she would’ve changed about her party and she gave me a convincing “no”. So mission (impossible) accomplished.
And the cutest story which I did get to witness was when I found the only boy (Quin) at the party standing at the toilet, with the last 2 remaining girls (Ella and Lucy) watching on.
Ella – Quin! You have to come outside to do [so and so]!
Quin [glancing from the toilet to Ella’s face and back] – I’m doing a wee.
Ella – Quin! When you have finished… doing a wee, come outside and do what I do! You have to do what I do!
[No response from Quin]
Me (whispering at Ella) – If you want to?
Ella – If you want to Quin, come outside and do what I’m doing!
Quin – OK.